AeroX is a nonprofit organization of business, government and community partners focused on creating a national model ecosystem for advanced air mobility ecosystem in Winston-Salem and Forsyth County, North Carolina.
Our goal: help companies thrive by developing and leveraging unmanned aircraft technologies.
Hovecon LLC manages AeroX on behalf of the AeroX Board of Directors and AeroX Advisory Council. Hovecon is the same company that led the North Carolina Department of Transportation’s participation in the Federal Aviation Administration’s three-year Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Integration Pilot Program (IPP) and now leads the state’s participation in its follow-on initiative, BEYOND.
During the IPP, North Carolina posted more national firsts and flew more missions that all of the other eight IPP teams combined, including:
- North America’s first unmanned passenger aircraft flight.
- First U.S. medical package drone delivery demonstration flight over people.
- First U.S. routine drone flights to deliver products for pay.
- First U.S. routine UAS Part 135 package deliveries.
- First U.S. first beyond visual line of sight (BVLOS) UAS operations within controlled airspace.
- First U.S. approval of a full Part 135 (commercial drone airline) certification.
- First U.S. approval for BVLOS bridge inspections.
- First N.C. coordinated statewide drone response to a disaster, the largest state response to date.
North Carolina – with AeroX as its testbed for AAM in an urban setting – continues leading the way for the remaining challenges of advanced air mobility (AAM), specifically enabling routine commercial operations beyond visual line of site (BVLOS) and building the unmanned traffic management system (UTM) that enables AAM.
AeroX partners include a broad and growing network of AAM innovators – UAS manufacturers and operators, companies using UAS services, government agencies facilitating AAM advances and support organizations aiding the startup, expansion and growth of partner companies.
AeroX is sustained by memberships and grants from public and private sources.